Freelance copywriter with over two decades of adding value on all levels of the creative ladder in collaborating, researching, analyzing, brainstorming, strategizing, developing, implementing, storytelling, testing, polishing, publishing, and converting.
- Full-service, no-drama, editing & copywriting.
- Headlines, taglines, ideas, & syntax support.
- Websites, printed marketing, digital & social.
- Agency, startup, and contract job experience.
- Spelling, grammar, voice, rhythm & naming.
- Landing pages, newsletters & biz writing.
- Respect for brand standards & guidelines.
- Current on 2021 copy trends & practices.
- Lifetime avg. 33% open rate & 19% click-thru.
- More proficient than 93% of Grammarly users.
- Zoom ready, willing, able, and always on time.
- Creative Restoring
- Headline Rejuvenating
- Message Rehabilitating
- Corporate Repositioning
- Platform Revitalizing
- Brand Resuscitating
- CMS Renovating
Bachelor of Arts in Journalism from California State University, Sacramento.
Founding Copywriter: 2017-
copybycurt.com, Los Angeles, CA
Experienced copywriter provides clients and customers the dedication, respect, transparency, and quality writing they’ve come to expect when hiring a professional who values the opportunity.
- Ownership of all copywriting assets through print, UX/UI, direction & content analytics.
- Landing pages, entire websites, display advertising, print brochures & direct mail.
- Tweets, blog and Facebook posts, product descriptions, marketing & promotional text.
- SEO writing that attributes for keyword density, visibility, tone, style & readability.
- Research voice, competitive keywords, content landscape & customer behaviors.
- Choreograph, strategize, and craft compelling headlines, taglines & campaigns.
- Supervise CMS across multiple platforms, including StoryBlok, Trello & Wix.
- Listen, organize, anticipate, deliver, grow, and Zoom-in prepared & put together.
- Experienced in incorporating client feedback into concepts they can sign off on.
CMYK Magazine, SF, NY, LA
Founded, managed, edited, and creative directed a globally recognized design magazine for two successful decades setting trends and examples across printed and online publishing mediums.
- Helped define an allied voice for the next generation of emerging artists & designers.
- Launched an international design magazine that soared as the creative bible for students.
- Steeped in the analysis and implementation of SEO tactics to increase search rankings.
- Saved company tens of thousands each year by assuming all copywriting opportunities.
- Leader through 55 four-color issues, eight websites, an online art gallery & an app.
- Supervised all client and customer-facing correspondence, branding & promotion.
- Maintained a formidable 93% retention rate among marketing & advertising partners.
- Organically skyrocketed online fanbase from 1,500 to 45,000 in 18 months.
- Consistently maintained a 53% open rate among newsletter customers.
Head Copywriter: 1994-1996
V&A Marketing & Advertising, Redwood City, CA
Team copywriter at a top Silicon Valley video-game marketing company writing lines like “Heavily Armed Octoheads,” “Are You Indy Enough?” and “Strap On Your Bunny Ears and Save The World.”
- Defined the video-game voice for Wonder Dog, Indiana Jones & PAC-MAN.
- Produced manuals for Duke Nukem, Sonic, Doom, Quake, Paper Boy & Wolfchild.
- Authored product catalogs for industry giants Sega, Sony, Nintendo, JVC & Atari.
- Daily immersion in writing video scripts, media kits, sales sheets & advertising.
- Developed skills in a deadline-strict “Good Ads In About An Hour” environment.
- Learned the value of showing up, camaraderie, purpose, respect & good work.
- Earned ownership by accepting every assignment as an opportunity to shine.
Junior Copywriter: 1992-1994
Gaylord Marketing & Advertising, Sacramento, CA
Traded unloading 40-foot trailers at UPS for the opportunity to write for a boutique advertising agency despite Crayoning my copywriting portfolio the night before winning the job.
- Mentored by CCO to write with confidence, authority, humility, and respect.
- Started Day 1 on print campaigns, direct mail, signage, TV & radio scripts.
- Practiced originating solid ideas while learning to make friends with red ink.
- Consistently maintained content standards, brand focus & professionalism.
- Teamed with design and marketing to meet all deadlines across all mediums.
- Work for Western Precooling and Sutter Hospital winners of the Addy Awards.